[Insight-users] Help: Image reverse in itk

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Dec 19 18:35:43 EST 2004

Hi D.J.J,

VTK uses the Computer Graphics convention that the origin
is located on the upper left corner of the screen and the
+Y axis points down.

ITK uses the Math/Physics convention that the origin is
located on the lower left corner of the screen and the
+Y axis points up.

If you want to change the orientation of the image that
you are seeing, you have three independent options to
choose from:

1) Use the itkFlipImageFilter or the OrientImageFilter
   before passing the ITK image to VTK.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1FlipImageFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1OrientImageFilter.html

OR

2) Use the vtkImageFlip filter in order to change the orientation
   after you have passed your image to VTK

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImageFlip.html

OR

3) Manipulate the Camera in the vtkImageActor in order to
   make sure that the orientation of the +Y axis is the one
   that you want.

Note that if you display medical images, what really counts
is the orientation of the anatomy inside the image. You may
want to follow the conventions that Radiologists use for
looking at the images.

Please let us know if you have further questions.