[Insight-users] ITK & GCC 4.0 & GCC 3.4 : How to help ? : contribute a build for the Dashboard

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 14 09:57:39 EST 2004

Hi Gaetan,

The migration to GCC 3.4 is already underway. It is a laborious
process that may still take several weeks. This modifications
will not go into ITK 1.8 because they involve too many changes.

We anticipate that GCC 3.4 will be supported in ITK 1.10.

This is to be released by the end of January and will be
the version to be presented at SPIE Medical Imaging on
mid February.

You are welcome to participate in the process. This will
simplify and accelerate the task.  The best thing that you can do
is to donate two hours of your computer, let's say from 2:00 am
to 4:00 am.  Simply set up a Nightly build of ITK with GCC 3.4.
This will show up in the Dashboard every morning and will help
the community to keep track of the changes.

The process for contributing a Nightly build is extremely simple:

1) Rerun CMake in your ITK build (the one that you have configured
    for GCC 3.4) and enable

                "BUILD_TESTING"

    hit "c" for configure, hit "g" for generate.

2) In the top level of the binary directory, type the command:

               ctest -D Nightly

That's it !!!   :-)

"ctest" is a Dart client that is distributed with CMake, so you
already have it in your machine.  It will configure, build and
run the ITK tests, gather an XML report and submit it to the
ITK Dashboard.  You don't need any special permission for doing
this.

For an easy start, you may want to send first an "Experimental" build.
This is done by typing:

              ctest  -D   Experimental

Once you have managed to submit a couple of builds manually, you
can move to automate the process by setting a cron job in your
Unix machine.  If you are in Windows you can do the equivalent
with the "scheduled tasks".

Please let us know if you find any problems preparing your submission,