[Insight-users] Regarding the Conductance value for the Anisotropic Diffusion function

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Dec 10 00:08:43 EST 2004

HI Vijay,

Please read the ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular section: 6.5.2, "Edge Preservingg Smoothing",
pdf-page 173.

The recomended default values for the Conductancer parameter
are in the range

                       [1.0 : 3.0]

(this is just a guideline for initial good values).

You don't want to set the conductance parameter to negative values,
since even if the code manage to swallow a negative value, that will
simply produce "noise enhancement" instead of image smoothing.