[Insight-users] Problem with MultiResMIRegistration

Vicente Grau vicente at robots.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 6 08:22:11 EST 2004

Hi Luis,

thank you very much for your interest. I sent a message about it to the
list a couple of weeks ago, but as I received no answers I assumed
nobody had experience with it. I have copied it at the bottom, after
your message.

I am working on Windows XP, using cygwin 1.5.12-1.
ITK version is 1.8.1.
As you see below, the examples do not crash at all or throw exceptions,
they just return an incorrect value as happened to Fong Ming.
Other examples work well on my system (by "work well" I mean that the
result is "Test passed"). The tests that failed for me, in
itkAlgorithmsTests, were:
33 - ImageRegistrationMethodTest13
34 - ImageRegistrationMethodTest14
55 - MattesMutualInformation
62 - MultiResolutionImageRegistrationMethodTest_1
63 - MultiResolutionImageRegistrationMethodTest_2
67 - MutualInformationMetricTest

After checking these tests, I thought the problem was the
MutualInformation Metric and stopped using it (anyway, I am working on
single modality images). The registration programs I have written since
then, using other metrics, are giving me reasonable results.

Thanks for your help.

Vicente

Luis Ibanez wrote:

Hi Vincente,

Could you please give us more details regarding your observation
that the MutualInformation Metric "doesn't work" in your system.

Please let us know:

 1) Your platform (operationg system, compiler)

 2) ITK version

 3) What do you observe exactly in MI?

     - does it crashes ?
     - does it produces zeros ?
     - does it throws exceptions ?

 4) Have you run any of the other examples that use Mutual
    Information in the Insight/Examples/Registration
    directory ?

This information will help us to track the source of the
problem.

Hi,

I thought I had solved my problems by updating the cygwin1.dll library,
but now the MultiResMIRegistration program does not behave as expected.
I get no error messages, the program runs smoothly, but at the end the
registered image is exactly the same as the moving image, no transform
is applied. My images are still brainweb165a10f17.mha and
brainweb1e5a10f17Rot10Tx15.mha.
I found no way to solve this problem by adjusting the registration
parameters, so I went to the Test programs. Running
itkAlgorithmsTests.exe, this is the output I obtain (I select test
number 62: itkMultiResolutionImageRegistrationMethodTest_1):

-----------------------
--- Starting level 0
No. Iterations: 100 Learning rate: 0.001
--- Starting level 1
No. Iterations: 300 Learning rate: 0.0005
--- Starting level 2
No. Iterations: 550 Learning rate: 0.0001
Solution is: [1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0]
True solution is: [1.25, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, -8.75, -3, -2]
Test failed.

I get more or less the same with test 63
(itkMultiResolutionImageRegistrationMethodTest_2).

I am using ITK 1.8.1 (compiled both in Debug and RelWithDebugInfo
versions) and the latest version of cygwin. Any ideas of what may cause
this? Or, any hints to what I could try from here?

Thanks very much.

Vicente Grau