[Insight-users] Reading JPEG compressed DICOM files

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 23 09:53:03 EDT 2004

Hi Soumen,

One easy option for reading DICOM files that use JPEG
compression is to use GDCM.  This is an open source
library developed by the Creatis team at INSA, France.

       http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/

You can download this library from

    http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/Public/Gdcm/

ITK provides an ImageIO object (by Mathieu Malaterre)
that interfaces with gdcm.

Simply download, build and install gdcm in your system.
gdcm has already been converted to use CMake, so you will
find a familiar configuration process.

Once gdcm is installed, please rerun CMake on ITK, pass
to the advanced options and enable USE_GDCM.

You should read about the GDCMImageIO classes at

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GDCMImageIO.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GDCMSeriesFileNames.html

You may also find useful to look at the examples in
the directory

       Insight/Examples/IO