[ITK-dev] HDF5 library naming

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 12:58:48 EDT 2017

I see the difference in release and debug library names for the HDF5
libraries has already been discussed about a year ago:

    https://itk.org/pipermail/insight-developers/2016-October/024995.html

However, the answer seems unsatisfactory to me.

Why can't ITK install these libraries named according to its own
convention for 3rd party libraries...? (i.e. -- why is "upstream did
it that way and we just updated to that" acceptable as a response
here?)

I use a non-CMake build system consuming ITK libraries where it is
much easier to deal with libraries named consistently (and using the
same names for debug and release builds). Especially when you are
dealing with static libraries only, there does not seem to be a good
reason to allow this deviation to persist long term.

Would a proposed patch correcting the naming (conforming to ITK
version naming convention like other ITK 3rd party libs, and named the
same in Release and Debug) be accepted?

Thanks,
David C.

details:

On Windows, BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF,
... snippet of 'ls -la' in the Debug ITK 'lib' install directory:
itkvcl-4.12.lib
itkvnl-4.12.lib
itkvnl_algo-4.12.lib
itkzlib-4.12.lib
libhdf5.settings
libitkhdf5_D.lib
libitkhdf5_cpp_D.lib

Proposed new names for two hdf5 libraries for both Debug and Release builds:

itkhdf5-4.12.lib
itkhdf5_cpp-4.12.lib