[ITK-dev] -fvisibility=hidden link warnings with GetMetaDataObjectTypeName()

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Nov 30 12:39:44 EST 2016

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 01:58:38 +0000, Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] said:

>One more question, if you have a moment:
>
>What is the purpose or goal of adding the hidden visibility flag when
>building ITK with static libraries? What API are you trying to expose on
>your "Application"?

Brad,

Well, for one, it's just best practice to build anything, especially library code like ITK, with -fvisibility=hidden.  But my actual motivation was that I started using OpenCV and its build system forces -fvisibility=hidden.  This caused link warnings in my app because indeed I had different code built with different visibility settings.  So I figured it was time to rebuild all my 3rd party libs with -fvisibility=hidden.  Once I did, I still had the 3 link warnings that started this thread, but in the end those 3 were an Xcode bug.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com