[ITK-dev] ITK 4.10 release date

Kishore Mosaliganti kishoreraom at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 22:59:31 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I was trying to develop GPU filters for tensor-voting and I just started
learning the ITK GPU framework. I believe the itkGPUImageFilterTest has a
bug in that it is not using a GPU filter but a CPU filter in the
instantiation and so this test is not doing what its designed for. Am I
right?

template< unsigned int VImageDimension >
int runGPUImageFilterTest(const std::string& inFile, const std::string&
outFile)
{
  typedef   unsigned char  InputPixelType;
  typedef   unsigned char  OutputPixelType;

  typedef itk::Image< InputPixelType,  VImageDimension >   InputImageType;
  typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType, VImageDimension >   OutputImageType;

  typedef itk::ImageFileReader< InputImageType  >  ReaderType;
  typedef itk::ImageFileWriter< OutputImageType >  WriterType;

  typename ReaderType::Pointer reader = ReaderType::New();
  typename WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();

  reader->SetFileName( inFile );
  writer->SetFileName( outFile );

  //
  // Note: We use regular itk filter type here but factory will
automatically create
  //       GPU filter for Median filter and CPU filter for threshold filter.
  //
  typedef itk::MeanImageFilter< InputImageType, OutputImageType >
MeanFilterType;
  typedef itk::BinaryThresholdImageFilter< InputImageType, OutputImageType
> ThresholdFilterType;

  typename MeanFilterType::Pointer filter1 = MeanFilterType::New();
  typename MeanFilterType::Pointer filter2 = MeanFilterType::New();
  typename ThresholdFilterType::Pointer filter3 =
ThresholdFilterType::New();

  // Mean filter kernel radius
  typename InputImageType::SizeType indexRadius;
  indexRadius[0] = 2; // radius along x
  indexRadius[1] = 2; // radius along y
  if( VImageDimension > 2 )
  {
    indexRadius[2] = 2; // radius along z
  }

  // threshold parameters
  const InputPixelType upperThreshold = 255;
  const InputPixelType lowerThreshold = 175;
  const OutputPixelType outsideValue = 0;
  const OutputPixelType insideValue  = 255;

  filter1->SetRadius( indexRadius );
  filter2->SetRadius( indexRadius );
  filter3->SetOutsideValue( outsideValue );
  filter3->SetInsideValue(  insideValue  );
  filter3->SetUpperThreshold( upperThreshold );
  filter3->SetLowerThreshold( lowerThreshold );

  // build pipeline
  filter1->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() ); // copy CPU->GPU implicilty
  filter2->SetInput( filter1->GetOutput() );
  filter3->SetInput( filter2->GetOutput() );
  writer->SetInput( filter3->GetOutput() ); // copy GPU->CPU implicilty

  // execute pipeline filter and write output
  writer->Update();

  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Kishore