[Insight-developers] Visual Studio 2012+ Parallelism

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Feb 10 09:30:58 EST 2014

Hello,

I just added the "/MP" flag to my "Win32-VS11-Release-Shared"[1] build, based on information from reading Kitware blog entry entitled "CMake: building with all your cores"[3]. Adding this flag changed the build time from 5h47min to 1hr10min . I don't recall having to do this before with VS10, VS9, has something changed with these more recent Visual Studios?

The system is running on a VM, allocated 4 cores and 16GB of memory. Many of the VS11/VS12 build have been taking over 2hrs and a couple much longer.

This chart is an indication of the excessive build time on this system:
http://open.cdash.org/viewSite.php?siteid=8833&project=2&currenttime=1391907600

Incidentally the recent VS11 builds I have setup for SimpleITK don't seem to suffer from the same issue.

[1] http://open.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=3213955
[2] http://open.cdash.org/viewNotes.php?buildid=3213955
[3] http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/434