[Insight-developers] Seeking advice about long running tests

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Wed Sep 25 17:20:00 EDT 2013

Matt,
The tree map visualization looks great! A great tool to pick out long
running tests (if the fonts of the label could be scaled accordingly, that
would be even better)  !

Looks like the code coverage loss is not much.
 +1 on your patches.

-Xiaoxiao

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Matt McCormick <matt.mccormick at kitware.com
> wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> > My ITK valgrind it taking too long. Just some test are just too long.
> How would I disable these tests on a dashboard script?
>
> These tests could be disabled with
>
>   set(CTEST_TEST_ARGS EXCLUDE_LABEL RUNS_LONG)
>
> > Also any idea what the change is coverage is?
>
> Yes, the decrease is about 0.26 %.  Here are my local results:
>
> Default run 1:
>         Covered LOC:         123682
>         Not covered LOC:     22557
>         Total LOC:           146239
>         Percentage Coverage: 84.58%
>
> Default run 2:
>         Covered LOC:         123671
>         Not covered LOC:     22570
>         Total LOC:           146241
>         Percentage Coverage: 84.57%
>
> -LE RUNS_LONG:
>         Covered LOC:         123306
>         Not covered LOC:     22942
>         Total LOC:           146248
>         Percentage Coverage: 84.31%
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>

> > On Sep 20, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Matt McCormick <matt.mccormick at kitware.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I did a visualization on test times [1] and it turns out that less
> >> than 1% of the tests (0.97%) take of half (48.7%) of the test times!
> >>
> >> It would be good to add a "RUNS_LONG" label [2] to these tests so that
> >> developers can run the test suite relatively quickly with
> >>
> >>  ctest -LE RUNS_LONG
> >>
> >> and the Visual Studio Debug Nightly builds can exclude them with
> >>
> >>  set(CTEST_TEST_ARGS EXCLUDE_LABEL RUNS_LONG)
> >>
> >> These tests are mostly integration tests that test complicated
> >> algorithms on semi-realistic data.  They have value, but leaving them
> >> out in these situations should not do much harm relative to their time
> >> overhead.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Matt
> >>
> >> [1] http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/12733/
> >> [2] http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/12734/

> results and
> proper

> most

> still
> also

> “Fast” in
> rename. 😊

> drop
> said for
> it’s
> glancing at
> differences...

> not
> overly

> if all
> under 4

> >> Powered by www.kitware.com

> >> Kitware offers ITK Training Courses, for more information visit:
> >> http://kitware.com/products/protraining.php
> >>
> >> Please keep messages on-topic and check the ITK FAQ at:
> >> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124