[Insight-developers] Questions about operator= in ITK

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 28 11:29:42 EDT 2013

There is a standard way to poison assignment and copy constructor, which
is to declare them protected and then not implement them.  This is
implemented consistently across all classes that derive ultimately from
itk::LightObject.

The only thing void operator= poisons is chain assignment, and the reason
it hasn't been a problem so far is that no one has used chain assignment
with those particular classes.

The copy/swap paradigm is recommended a lot of places. I haven't
encountered a case in ITK that it would make a difference.  The usual
pattern suggested is

X& operator=(const X &x)
{
  X tmp(x);