[Insight-developers] Building ITK 3.20 for WinCE 7

Navneeth Subramanian navneeth.s at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 03:43:16 EDT 2012

Hello,

We are trying to build ITK v3.20.1 for Windows Embedded Compact 7 (WEC7 aka
WinCE 7.0) for a Freescale i.MX53 ARM processor.  Utilizing the
parogas-cmake port of CMake v2.8 on gitorious with minor modifications for
64-bit Windows, we have been slowly porting ITK to WEC7.

We’ve been able to work through most of the issues (e.g. No POSIX support),
but one of the issues has us blocked.  To build ITK, we are using Visual
Studio 2008 (required for WEC7) and a custom SDK built for our target ARM
hardware.  This runs on an x64 Windows 7 computer.  When building with the
SDK, it cross-compiles for ARMv4I.

But when building the itksys project in ITK, it fails because it is trying
to build *ProcessFwd9x.c* for ARM, then it tries to execute the result of
this build as part of the build process.  But it can’t because this is an
x64 system and not ARM.

I’ve tried following the instructions available for configuring CMake for
cross-compiling, but it seems to be very Linux focused and not applicable
when building in Visual Studio with a Smart Device SDK.  We’ve considered
removing this from the ITK build as we don’t believe we require it for our
usage of the library, but it is proving difficult to remove due to
interdependencies.

Can anyone help with either of the below questions?

1.  How do we configure the ITK build or CMake for cross-compiling using a
Visual Studio 2008 SDK build so that itksys builds correctly?

or

2.  How do we remove itksys from the build completely?  And what are the
ramifications of doing so?

Many Thanks.