[Insight-developers] ITK Module Questions / third party interdepencies

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu May 31 13:07:43 EDT 2012

I've switched up how DCMTK gets built and deployed based on valuable
feedback from Brad King & Bradley Lowencamp, who hereafter shall be
referred to as The Two Brads, or just T2B.

As a proof of concept -- or until someone tells me it's just a horrible
idea -- instead of hacking the DCMTK build stuff into the top-level ITK
directory, I'm trying out a different solution: I'm adding
ITK/Modules/ThirdParty/DCMTK, and putting all the ExternalProject stuff in
there.

Why am I doing this?

1. If I hypnotise CMake into thinking there's an ITK Module there, then I
can have ITKIODCMTK depend on ITKDCMTK.
2. It cleans up the top level CMakeLists.txt and doesn't stink up ITK/CMake

The questions I have right now:

1. If I move all the external project implementation into
ITK/Modules/ThirdParty/DCMTK, I don't know how to make the Module (I.e.
the ITKDCMTK Module) depend on running the ExternalProject build for
DCMTK. Which is to say, if the ExternalProject macro call is there in
ITK/Modules/ThirdParty/DCMTK/CMakeList, DCMTK will get built eventually,
but I'm not sure that the chain of dependency is there such that it will
get built before the ITKIODCMTK module.

2. how would I get the list of DCMTK libraries to be installed once DCMTK
is built? Right now, the include directories, library list, and the lib
directory get suck into the proper lists, but in the case of actually
installing ITK, none of them would get added to the installation.

3. Is this even a good idea?