[Insight-developers] Improve support for VectorImages

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon May 21 12:10:07 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am hoping that we can improve support for VectorImage in a couple of Adaptors, and Iterators.

Specifically, I have been trying to get a couple of filters to work with VectorImages, and I have run into some issues with certain iterators returning values by reference and not by value [1]. This is part of the changes that are needed to get the VectorConfidenceConnectedImage filter to work with VectorImages.

Additionally, Kris has been working to get VectorImages to work with the PatchBasedDenoising. She has a patch on gerrit which demonstrates her need for the ImageRegionConstIterator to work with the VectorImageToImage Adaptor [2]. She has previously shared a patch which may address the interface need, but it WIP  some cast I was not confident were the best approach.

Lastly, I have been trying to get the GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter to also work with VectorImages [3]. I have it down to a similar problem with the NthElementImageAdaptor.

It would be great if these released issues could be wrapped up this week so that these improvements can make it in to ITK and SimpleITK before the next release.

I would like to propose a little TCON to review the topics, and decide what is the best way to expand the capabilities of the Iterators and Adaptors to better support VectorImages. I would like to propose Tuesday or Wednesday after noon. Please email me if you are available and interested in attending.

Thanks,
Brad

[1] http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/5295/
[2] http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/5572/1