[Insight-developers] Proposal: Should the September release just but a 4.2.1 patch?

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Mon Jul 23 13:08:35 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Bradley Lowekamp
<blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Forgive me for not knowing but, why is keeping the minor release schedule
> important?

The regular minor release schedule is important for two reasons.
First, releases generate visibility and publicity for the project.
Second, contributors are encouraged by having their work released
often.

> In my view spending time to fix things that are not working to give the
> community that we are improving stability is important. Many discussion on
> patch releases vs minor releases, boil down to give the impression of
> stability or innovation.

Stability and innovation is not an either-or situation.  It is
possible to have both.

> From my personal usage, I would like a stable release version of ITKv4
> installed on some systems for some scientists to use. I don't think that 4.2
> is it yet. And unfortunately its not uncommon, for a release to contain a
> couple of bug that require a patch or two. In some situation stability is
> good. While when I want the latest features I frequently can pick a specific
> commit near master, that is suitable.

ITK releases have been stable.  In areas they have not been stable, it
is a gap in the software processes.  We are now looking at performance
regressions and WrapITK issues.  Both of these have not been tested
well, and they are both broken.  We need a set of performance tests
and a method to monitor them.  WrapITK did not have a strong showing
on the nightly dashboard until recently, and there are not Gerrit
builds.   This explains why WrapITK is regularly broken by commits and
only works on a handful of platforms.

> Additionally, I don't think that both can really be done in the next 60
> days, so I suggested just doing the patch.

We need community involvement to support such a huge project.  Without
regular releases, we discourage community involvement.  People also
get the mindset of "I must merge this now, or it will be forever (6
months) before it is available."  This mindset does not help with
stability.

Matt