[Insight-developers] Critical Visual Studio 10 Issue

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:12:35 EST 2012

Folks,

This seems to be something we need to fix before VTK4.1. I can't
reproduce it with my antiquated system.
*************************
A number of users have reported that their Visual Studio 10 ITK build hangs.

If they do this:
In Visual Studio
Set Tools>Options>Projects and Solutions>Build and Run>Maximum
number of parallel project builds" = 1
The build is fine.
****************************
Here is a typical e-mail:
I have been able to build ITK when I have ITK_BUILD_ALL_MODULES and
BUILD_EXAMPLES enabled.
However, when I enable BUILD_TESTING, my build appears to hang.

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 10, 32-bit, on Windows 7 64-bit Professional.

The build "hangs" almost immediately, with the following messages on the screen:

1>------ Build started: Project: ZERO_CHECK, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>------ Skipped Build: Project: RUN_TESTS, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
1>Build started 2/15/2012 3:25:25 PM.

The longest I have let it run so far is 55 minutes.  I am letting it
run longer right now to try to establish that it won't ever finish.
There is a moving icon in the bottom toolbar, and the processor is
being used; other than that, there is no evidence of progress.