[Insight-developers] modularization and FastMarching filters (on itk:Image and itk::QuadEdgeMesh) ?

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Thu Mar 31 23:24:04 EDT 2011

Hi Arnaud,
  Conceptually, one  "ITK-FastMarching" under the group "Filtering" makes
sense to me.
  Is this module still going to be  depending on ITK-LevelSets (still
requires some common headers) after  moving it out of LevelSets module? Or
it's relatively stand-alone?

  It also depends on the size of the module to decide whether it should
be further divided by two,  and  whether the Image one and the QuadEdgeMesh
one share a lot of common files.
  If there are not many classes in each category (say less than 20 each),
and they share a lot of common classes, it makes more sense to be in one
unit.

  Let me know if I could be more help.
  Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Arnaud GELAS
<arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu>wrote:

>  Xiaoxiao, Luis,
>
> We have been working on fast marching filters, and we would like to submit
> gerrit patches for its refactorization.
>
> Currently, fast marching filters are
>
>    - part of the level sets module
>    - work only on itk::Image
>

> With our changes, fast marching filters will also work on
> itk::QuadEdgeMesh, while the level sets framework does not (at this stage).
>
> Would it make sense to create a separate module for fast marching filters?
>
> Do we need to split fast marching filters into 2 sub-module one for
> itk::Image and one for itk::QuadEdgeMesh, or keep everything together at a
> cost of adding one dependency to itk::QuadEdgeMesh in the case where people
> want to only use it for itk::Image and vice-et-versa ?
>
> Please let us know what would be your recommendations,
>
> Thanks,
> Arnaud

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124