[Insight-developers] Comments and questions on Morphology Filters

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 23 11:28:23 EDT 2011

Gaetan,

After integrating and testing some morphology filters for SimpleITK. I had some questions, and wondering if you had any experience.

The ErodeObjectMorhpologyImageFilter and the DialateObjectMorphologyImageFilter, seem to be redundant with BinaryErodeImageFilter and BinaryDilateImageFilter, when the SetErodeValue, SetDilateValue are respectfully set. Do you agree with this, or is the subtly in the methods I am missing?

Also do you have any experience with BinaryThinningImageFilter and BinaryPruningImageFilter? They both seem to only correctly operate in 2D and the pruning algotihm did not perform as I expects. Additionally, their testing in ITK is rather poor.

Thanks,
Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for