[Insight-developers] why is the TransformIOTest in ITK/Modules/Nonunit/IntegratedTest?

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Tue Mar 22 00:28:48 EDT 2011

In the initial stage of adding tests to the toolkit after
the modularization, there were lot of tests moved to IntegratedTest module
due to one of the two reasons:
1) Causing extra module dependencies to the module they are testing, namely,
Nonunit tests.
2) The file name of the tests were not consistent with the class names they
are testing, which caused trouble to automatically  (python scripting)
identify the modules where they belong to.
    We were able to use python scripts to relocate the majority of the tests
according to their files names.  Those remaining tests were put in
IntegratedTest initially and need to be identified manually.

Right before the modularization transition, we
had successfully separated the source dependency and test dependency by
specifying "DEPENDS" and "TEST_DEPENDS" in itk-module.cmake for each module.
You will notice that all the modules that contain tests "Test_DEPENDS" on
TestKernel. For those modules whose testing code requires extra modules
besides the depending modules of the source code of that module, you can
list extra modules after "TEST_DEPENDS". This solution makes it possible to
move case 1) tests back to modules easily.

I am constantly working on moving tests from Nonunit/IntegratedTest  to back
to the modules manually.  For example:
 http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,1227<http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,1227>
Hopefully all of the tests can be moved back to the modules they belong to
soon!

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think that these tests are not really unit tests and require several
> classes in several modules.
>
> That is my guess.
>

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Williams, Norman K <
> norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
>> So the modularization moved all the TransformIO classes to
>> Modules/Core/Transform, but the test is in
>> ITK/Modules/Nonunit/IntegratedTest.
>>

>> It would seem like the test should be in ITK/Modules/Core/Transform/test.
>> But looking at the tests in Modules/Nonunit, it seems like it's catch
>> basin for hundreds of tests that used to be in various subdirectories of
>> Insight/Testing.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

>> ________________________________
>> Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by
>> the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is
>> confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
>> recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
>> distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>>  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error,
>> then delete it.  Thank you.
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124