[Insight-developers] SimpleITK - Using ccache for fast recompilation

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Mar 21 11:29:17 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have just been experimenting with ccache and SimpleITK. I am quite impressed.

CCache:
http://ccache.samba.org/

Notes for use with SimpleITK:
http://erie.nlm.nih.gov/~blowek1/SimpleITK/Developer.html

Because SimpleITK uses a bit of code generation, the standard dependencies of file modified times don't work so well. When files get regenerated then have to be recompiled, even though the contents doesn't change. This can slow down development, especially when you are trying to instantiate filters with just about every pixel type.

Ccache is doing an amazing job in determining that the generated code really has not changed and re-using the results of the prior compilation. I am quite impressed with the results so far.

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine