[Insight-developers] ITKVideo as a module

Gabe Hart gabe.hart at kitware.com
Tue Mar 15 12:27:32 EDT 2011

On 03/15/2011 12:06 PM, Brad King wrote:
> On 03/15/2011 11:59 AM, Gabe Hart wrote:
>> 0) Is there documentation somewhere that will preempt my other questions?
> We're still getting everything working in modularized form.  Documentation
> of how to add a module will be added later.
>
>> 1) What sort of structure should a module like this aim for?  Since this
>> is an A2D2, my thought is that it should live alongside the inner ITK
>> directory (or whatever it will be renamed to) rather than inside it.
> Is this going to be distributed in ITK proper in the future?
I think this question relates to the lower one.  The goal of this module
is to provide bridges between OpenCV and VXL as well as support for
native ITK video filters, so based on the large dependencies I'd imagine
that it won't be part of the primary ITK distribution.
>> 2) How/Where should external dependencies be added?  It looks like the
>> CMake structure consists of finding all itk-module.cmake files that live
>> at SOURCE/*/*/*/ (3 levels deep).  My inclination would be to put things
>> like find_packate(OpenCV) here.  Is that right?
> If it is a truly outside dependency that must be installed to be used then
> just put find_package(OpenCV) right in the main CMakeLists.txt file of
> your module to locate it on the system when it is needed.  I'd rather not
> bring a fork of OpenCV in as a module.
I agree that bringing in OpenCV itself is a bad idea.  At this point,
the module's directory structure looks like:

Video
- Filters
-- OpenCV
-- vxl
- IO
-- OpenCV
-- vxl

The CMakeLists.txt and itk-module.cmake files are only located in the
OpenCV and vxl directories.  Should the find_package calls go into those
CMakeLists files, or should there be a single CMakeLists file in one of
the higher up directories that finds them?

Thanks,
-Gabe

--
Gabe Hart