[Insight-developers] Musings on new modularization

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:57:12 EDT 2011

Hans,

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Johnson, Hans J <hans-johnson at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> 5) This has always been there, but  it is more exposed now.   Do we really
> need all these different versions of the JPEG library?
> Utilities/OpenJPEG vs Utilities/JPEG vs GDCM/jpeg
> Food for thought.

This is quite hard to solve.

-Utilities/OpenJPEG implements JPEG 2000 reversible & irreversible
(ITU-T T.800, ISO/IEC IS 15444-1),
-Utilities/JPEG implements JPEG lossy 8 (ITU-T T.81, ISO/IEC IS
10918-1) + arithmetic codec
-GDCM/jpeg implements JPEG lossy 8 & 12 bits + lossless 1-16bits
(ITU-T T.81, ISO/IEC IS 10918-1) (without arithmetic codec)

I would love also to see a single "JPEG family codec" implementation
in ITK, but so far I do not know of any library that implements them
all in a single codec.

Technically Utilities/JPEG could go away, as i do not think anyone
except some advanced research groups are using the arithmetic codec
from jpeg, and could be replaced by GDCM/jpeg.

2cts
--
Mathieu