[Insight-developers] Musings on new modularization

Jim Miller millerjv at ge.com
Mon Mar 14 11:46:56 EDT 2011

I was struck by this as well.  It is also going to take a while to train my fingers to type

ITK/ITK/Core/Common/src/foo.txx

and

ITK/ITK/Core/Common/include/foo.h

:)

The ITK/ITK sounded weird to me at first. I was actually wondering if it was a stopgap position until the rest of the toolkit was flushed-out (Examples, Tests).  But I think Brad's point of having the inner ITK directory parallel to custom directories is interesting.  That was certainly how we used to structure things.  With CMake and recent advances in CMake, I am not sure this strategy is needed anymore.

Brad, can you comment on this some more? Are you anticipating the custom vendor-specific packages to be parallel to the inner ITK directory (and under the outer ITK directory)?

Would this be managed at the repository level where the inner or outer ITK directory would be a submodule? What would be your recommendation as to how to structure a project that provides custom-modules against ITK?

Jim

On Mar 12, 2011, at 7:54 PM, Johnson, Hans J wrote:

> 1)  Bad.  The path to code has a repeated name "src/ITK/ITK/Core/Common"  Note the ITK/ITK.  This makes it difficult to comminicate with other developers

Jim Miller
Senior Scientist
GE Research
Interventional and Therapy