[Insight-developers] Non-ITK question

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Mar 11 11:32:02 EST 2011

On 03/11/2011 09:39 AM, Johnson, Hans J wrote:
> Would you mind providing me with a quick response regarding the
> long-term (say 10 years) safety of depending on sizeof(double) being 8
> bytes in C?

I cannot say anything authoritative, but I would be surprised if the
representation under 'double' changes any time soon.  A lot of software
depends on the current size.  Even if it does change there will likely
be a new type name that refers to the same layout that one may use to
substitute in the header struct.

Note that you still need to deal with byte order!

> Any recommendations so that we maximize maintainability and portability
> to next generation 128bit computers?

I've had no experience that qualifies me to comment on this one ;)

-Brad