[Insight-developers] CMake questions related to SimpleITK C# wrapping

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Jun 23 19:53:08 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Dan Mueller <dan.muel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bradley,
>
> Thanks for your response. See inline below.
>
> On 18 June 2011 21:11, Bradley Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>> Hello Dan,
>> Thanks for looking into the C# with simpleITK. SimpleITK should be a
>> exciting and simple way to use ITK when easy of use and rapid prototyping
>> are important along with  the many other benefits is has.
>> On Jun 18, 2011, at 1:17 AM, Dan Mueller wrote:
>>
>> Hi Insight Developers,
>>
>> I have found some time here and there to fix/improve SimpleITK C#
>> wrapping -- I can now generate SimpleITK C# wrappers on Windows using
>> .NET or Mono, and on Linux using Mono.
>>
>> Great!
>> I think one of the biggest things we are missing for C# is the nightly
>> testing. It looks like I should look into the Mono thing some.
>> It the build process fully automated with your patch? For some reason I
>> thought there was a step or two that needed to be done by hand?
>
> Yes, I have fixed the dependency issue, so the build is now fully automated.
>
>> However, I still have a number of minor issues for which I need some advice:
>>
>> 1. LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY in Visual Studio:
>> At CMake configure/generate time, I add a custom command (via the
>> swig_add_module macro):
>>    swig_add_module(SimpleITKCSharpNative csharp SimpleITK.i)
>> For various reasons I need to force the output directory:
>>    set_target_properties(SimpleITKCSharpNative PROPERTIES
>> LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CSHARP_BINARY_DIRECTORY})
>> where CSHARP_BINARY_DIRECTORY =  /SimpleITK/Build/Wrapping/CSharpBinaries
>>
>> Under Linux the C# binary is nicely created in:
>>    /SimpleITK/Build/Wrapping/CSharpBinaries
>> However, under Windows (using Visual Studio 10 generator) the binary
>> is created in:
>>    /SimpleITK/Build/Wrapping/CSharpBinaries/Release
>> (notice the configuration name "Release" at the end).
>>
>> Why is $(Configuration) added to the library output path? Can I prevent
>> this?
>> (This is not a big deal, but it requires yet another "if (WIN32)"
>> check in the CMakeLists.txt which I'd prefer to avoid...)

Finally! Time to answer this question that's been in my Inbox all week... :-)

$(Configuration) is appended by default to provide separate locations
for Debug and Release binaries as a convenience for those who are
building both in a single CMake-configured-and-generated binary tree.
And for maintaining backwards-compatibility because that's the way
it's been for a while now...

You may override the output directories on a per-configuration basis
using the target properties:

  http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#prop_tgt:LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY_CONFIG
  http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#prop_tgt:RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY_CONFIG

If you set those properties, nothing will be appended to the value you
give. So you could set the properties LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY_RELEASE
and RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY_RELEASE to be
${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Wrapping/CSharpBinaries and the dlls will end up
in there. Set the _DEBUG variants too, if you also want Debug builds
to put their library and executable files there.

>> 2. Determining the platform in Linux:
>> On Windows using Visual Studio generator, there is a VS macro
>> $(PlatformShortName) which allows me to detect the platform name (x86
>> or x64), eg:
>>   add_custom_command(
>>    COMMENT "Compiling C# ${type} ${name}"
>>    OUTPUT ${name}.${output}
>>    COMMAND ${CSHARP_COMPILER}
>>    ARGS /t:${type} /out:${name}.${output}
>> /platform:$(PlatformShortName) ${refs} ${sources} # <<< Use platform
>> here
>>    WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CSHARP_BINARY_DIRECTORY}
>>    DEPENDS "${sources_dep}"
>>  )
>>
>> Is there an equivalent to $(PlatformShortName) in UNIX make files? How
>> can I determine the platform at CMake configuration/generation time
>> and/or compile time under Linux?
>>

>> This sounds like to you need a CMake Guru to help you here. I CC'd David
>> Cole for hopes of a response.

This #2 question, I simply do not know. A Linux+Mono guru is what you
need here. If I were to do this from a purely CMake/C++-ish angle, I'd
set a variable "arch" to either "x86" or "x86_64" based on whether the
C++ compile is a 64-bit build or not...

Something like:

if(MSVC)
  set(arch "$(PlatformShortName)")
elseif(CMAKE_SIZEOF_VOID_P EQUAL 8)
  set(arch "x86_64")
else()
  set(arch "x86")
endif()

Then use ${arch} where you are presently using $(PlatformShortName) ...

HTH,
David C.