[Insight-developers] Methods for comparing meta-data with tolerance

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jun 22 14:53:51 EDT 2011

So perhaps these almost equal methods could be added to the itk::Math namespace. That still doesn't answer where to put almost equal vector, point, and matrix... perhaps in the classes themselves?

Brad K,

Is this an endorsement of using an assumption that we have IEEE floating point numbers, and can assume to be doing bit-wise comparisons?

There seems to be quite a few caveats this that low-level implementation. And I am too lazy to implement multiple optimized versions, depending on the compilers and system capabilities.

Brad

On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Brad King wrote:

> On 06/21/2011 05:03 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
>> I like the following methods for tolerant comparison:
>>
>> abs( f1-f2 ) > numeric_limits<double|float>::epsilon()*(1u<<BITS )*max( f1, 1.0)
>
> http://www.cygnus-software.com/papers/comparingfloats/comparingfloats.htm
>
> -Brad K

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for