[Insight-developers] Plan to host the SimpleITK git repo here at Kitware

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 6 10:27:36 EDT 2011

On 06/05/2011 05:31 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
> With the beta scheduled for the 15th of this month I think if it could
> be done in the next couple of days it would be best. Otherwise it may
> be best to wait until the beta is tagged so that we have a week to work
> on cleaning everything up.

There are at least two factors to consider for this decision:

(1) Do you want to change your workflow right before a release?

(2) Part of our public.kitware.com hosting infrastructure is all the
server-side checks that help prevent problematic history from getting
published.  Whenever I convert a project from another version control
system I typically filter the history to clean up some things as if
it had been done right in the first place (e.g. CRLF newlines committed
to the repository, source files with executable permission, author
names/emails, etc.).  SimpleITK is young enough that we could consider
doing this before it is published.  For example, these commits could
be cleaned up:

$ git log --merges --format='%h %s' |grep ' of '
349243a Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
1795fbb Merge branch 'master' of git://github.com/SimpleITK/SimpleITK
d601975 Merge branch 'master' of git://github.com/SimpleITK/SimpleITK
4b3a873 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
a460777 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
3901a6b Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
881ce01 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
0c11858 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
a66b5c0 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
c28d00a Merge branches 'master' and 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
312f5fb Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
0e785ae Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
1c6581a Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
a2cb002 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
fe29286 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
7622a89 Merge branch 'Test_Simple_Gaussian' of github.com:dblezek/SimpleITK into Test_Simple_Gaussian
e84f0d5 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
4434ca4 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:SimpleITK/SimpleITK
b057d82 Merge branch 'itk_structure' of https://github.com/gabehart/SimpleITK
1b8a8e3 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:dblezek/SimpleITK
0eedd2b Merge branch 'master' of git at github.com:dblezek/SimpleITK.git

$ git log --author=unknown --format='%h Author: %an <%ae>' |cat
0eedd2b Author: unknown <mra9161 at .mfad.mfroot.org>
a935263 Author: unknown <mra9161 at .mfad.mfroot.org>

and the "Examples/SimpleGaussian.cs" source file appears to have
invalid CRCRLF newlines.

These things are easy to fix with a single rewrite of history.  It would
mean however that everyone would need to re-clone from scratch (which is
probably okay because of the host location change anyway) and never merge
from the current Github-hosted histories until they are replaced.

-Brad K