[Insight-developers] Valgrind need attention

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Jul 28 17:09:55 EDT 2011

As I explained in direct e-mail to Bill, I spent a couple of days staring
at the FEM code and couldn't find the problems causing the remaining FEM
valgrind leak reports.  Then I threw up my hands and Vince Magnotta has
been putting some hours in and came to similar conclusion.

The problem is that memory that is allocated by the ::New() method, and
only ever assigned to smart pointers, is being reported as leaked. Which
means that there are 3 possibilities:

1. Somehow, somewhere, the reference count is getting double-incremented.
2. There really is a leak somewhere that's eluded both Vince & I.
3. Valgrind is wrong.

My last exchange with Bill he indicated that he believed the leak was
real.  If that's the case, it's eluded 2 reasonably intelligent &
experienced programmers for a minimum of 40 man hours.  If someone else
has any insights they would be extremely welcome.