[Insight-developers] PROPOSAL: Change default build type to "Release"

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Sun Jul 24 10:25:40 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Matthew McCormick (thewtex)
<matt at mmmccormick.com> wrote:
> I like a third option -- RelWithDebInfo.
>
> That produces '-g -O2', at least on Linux.
>
> It is nice to have debugging symbols in there for a quick correction
> in case something goes wrong.  '-g -O2' is also good for profiling.
>
> -O2 is nicer than -O3 because you still get the optimizations that
> have the most impact speed while still keeping compile time
> reasonable.  We may also dissuade new users from continuing if it
> takes forever to compile.

Yes, that is something I have been using more too, and could be a
great compromise. With GCC -O3 can really bloat compile times with
little gain (and sometimes slowdowns). The Windows (MSVC) run time
increases we have seen have largely been due to STL when in debug
mode, there are ways of reducing the impact that some of the ParaView
Windows guys have been looking into.

Marcus