[Insight-developers] ITK/SZIP license incompatibility?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 20 11:34:41 EDT 2011

SZip is optionally configured when you build HDF5, and it is a separate
download.  It probably isn't included in HDF5 for the same reason it can't
be included in ITK -- license incompatibility.

We don't switch on SZip processing, so I don't think it's an issue with
respect to ITK.

The only (extremely unlikely) scendario would be where the ITK transform
or Image HDF5 reader was called upon to read a file generated by a third
party that happened to use SZIP compression.  I can't imagine that ever
being a real-world issue -- in order to write an ITK HDF5 file outside of
ITK, you'd have to conform to the way we lay out the attributes and data
in our readers & writers.  Telling people to not use SZIP compression in
their HDF5 files isn't a hardship.

IIRC if you want compression in an HDF5 file you have to ask for it via
the API, and you say specifically which compressor to use.
Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu