[Insight-developers] Templates and preprocessor macros

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jul 12 21:48:00 EDT 2011

With C++0x there is the static_assert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x#Static_assertions

Which is by far the easiest was to check what you are looking for, as it is just :

static_assert( VImageDimension == 3 );

*poof* compile time assertion. However, this is not supported by all compilers that ITK needs to support so we can't do that for the main code. But if it's just your own project you could use it.

I would be  in favor for adding a itkStaticAssert as a macro to ITKv4. But I am also a meta-programing wacko, so I may be alone. We could use the C++0x implementation if available or fall back to something else, or just do nothing.

Brad