[Insight-developers] trouble with git history in branch

M Stauffer (V) mstauff at verizon.net
Tue Jul 12 16:18:18 EDT 2011

Hi,

I"m having some trouble with a branch I'm preparing for a gerrit patch:

repo: 		git://github.com/picslITK/ITK4_topics.git
branch: 	TransformChangesPending_Stauffer

The behavior when I try to rebase seems odd.

When I try to rebase/squash onto e9559 or 9228098, the rebase file that
appears with the list of commits has lots of other commits that I didn't
expect. I'd like to squash all commits from e9559.

Note that the 92280989 commit is already a rebase/squash of a dozen or
so smaller commits, but not the ones showing up in the rebase file.

I'm worried something's gone wrong and thought someone with more git
knowledge might be able to take a look and tell what's going on? The
code builds and the tests pass and our changes are all in there, but it
seems odd that the rebase list of commits should show up like this.

Background:

We've been working on a separate module/branch here at Penn for the new
registration hierarchy. Along the way we've made a number of changes to
Transform and metric classes, with lots of back and forth in the code.

I made a git patch with all the changes we made to Transform, metric and
related classes in order to push them up as a separate change set, in
anticipation of pushing up our new classes for registration. I applied
it to the oldest common ancestor of our branch and itk master (commit .
Then I merged the current itk master into this branch. Then I made a few
more small necessary changes. All of that seemed to go find and the code
builds.

Thanks,
Michael