[Insight-developers] The new Testing Data process: Good news / bad news

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:15:07 EDT 2011

Folks,

As I said before, the new test data scheme is "a well documented and
easy to use process".

I currently reviewed a couple of gerrit patches that use the new
scheme. More good news, the committer, Don Bigler, is outside the core
development team and seems to have also mastered the process.

The bad news is that a developer can easily add large data. Since the
process is somewhat transparent, it is not always clear as to the size
of the data. For example, some of Don's test data is 20 meg. My
ExternalData/Objects/MD5/ is currently 93 megs!

In the past, we tried to keep test data small because we did not want
the repository to grow too large. Now that that data is stored
somewhere else, should we still try to limit the size? How big is too
big?

Also, once you review a patch, you will have that data even if the
patch is not merged. How can I remove the data

I think we need a policy.

Bill