[Insight-developers] Data submodule was reverted again ( staging check needed? )

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jan 25 18:09:03 EST 2011

On 01/25/2011 02:40 PM, Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
> I still can't see, nor did I get a good justification when I asked for
> it on the mailing list, to have moved the data to a separate git
> submodule.

It's in a submodule because the size of the ITKData repository is a
significant fraction of the source code size of ITK.  Assume for a moment
that all data are in the source tree.  If a big file is added at any point
in history and then removed, suddenly everyone's Github forks of ITK.git
need space for that object in history forever and ever.  Without the data
in the tree everyone can push around a much smaller repository.

> I think we should discuss that at the meeting in Boston.

I've been making progress on this front.  Someone from Kitware will talk
about it in Boston.

-Brad