[Insight-developers] Which hook is really stopping me to commit and why?

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 11 17:34:35 EST 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to do a local commit (then I'll submit one patch to gerrit).
It seems some hooks are blocking me, but I can't figure out exactly
what's going on...

Here is the message:

$ git commit
: No such file or directory
commit-msg hook failure
-----------------------

gerrit/commit-msg failed

To continue editing, run the command
   git commit -e -F .git/COMMIT_MSG
(assuming your working directory is at the top).

I don't understand the line ": No such file or directory". Any idea?

What am I doing wrong?

Also note that .git/COMMIT_MSG does not exist, but is called
.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG (and this may be updated in the die function of the
hooks).

Thanks,
Arnaud