[Insight-developers] No longer building XCode

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Aug 29 17:37:15 EDT 2011

Hello,

I modified the CTest script to not add any additional warning flags, so the FLAGS are just empty now. I fired it off at about 3pm and it's still going, it's not producing a heck of a lot of warning, but it is up to 9400K of output. This appears to indicate that it's not related to the amount of warninga produced, but doesn't rule out an increase in the amount of time spent parsing the output.

Also looking at the graph linked below, I don't see a correlation with the number of warning and the increase time to build ITK.

If it is spending a lot of time parsing the output, I should check to ensure that my cmake was built in release mode. That will be the experiment for tomorrow. I would be surprised if lack of cmake optimization would cause 3X in crease in build time. I still think the modularization may not be playing well with XCode.

Brad

On Aug 29, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> On 8/29/2011 12:36 PM, Sean McBride wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:42:03 -0400, Bradley Lowekamp said:
>>
>>> I will not longer be perform  a nightly build with the XCode Generator.
>>> The Modularization is brutal on it. It now takes over 3x as long as it
>>> did for ITK 3.20.
>>
>> I haven't used CMake's Xcode generator much, but have noticed in my own nightlies of CMake itself, that it's much slower.  I don't know why.
>>
>>> Please look at the build graph timing here:
>>>
>>> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/buildSummary.php?buildid=1475559
>>
>> I notice there are a lot of warnings, perhaps you are experiencing this:
>> <http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12381>
>>
> I know this has come up before, but do we really need to see 1000
> warnings from a build?  The reason ctest clips them to 50 in the first
> place it to keep the data from getting big when going to the server.  As
> far as I can tell this just bloats the CDash DB, and ties up network
> bandwidth.  No one is looking at 1000 warnings.   If you look at the
> graph, it scales right up in time with the number of warnings.  So, it
> likely is the issue that Sean brings up.  It is also bloating the CDash
> DB, and taking up network traffic...
>
> Can we go back to something smaller?
>

> -Bill

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ