[Insight-developers] ITKv4 Numerical Libraries Refactoring

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Aug 25 19:24:32 EDT 2011

As part of the many activities of ITKv4,
the Numerical Libraries in ITK
(many of which operate through VXL)
are going through a revision process.

The goal of this revision are:

  * Accelerate (increase performance)
  * Simplify (remove unnecessary code)

As well as eliminate code of dubious origin
that may have made it into the toolkit over
the years.

We are lucky to have as part of the ITKv4 team,
Julie Langou and Julien Langou, (both in CC) who are
the main maintainers of netlib and experts in numerical
computing. Please welcome them to the team, and help
them navigate the ITK code that relies on Numerical
Libraries.

--

This effort is being coordinated in this page:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Refactor_Numerical_Libraries

and we are tackling it from multiple angles,
one of which is to define the numerical needs
of ITK, and then revise where the pain points
may be.

That information is being organized here:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Refactor_Numerical_Libraries/Inventory

and we are starting by looking at the FFT libraries
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Refactor_Numerical_Libraries/Inventory/Fourier_Transforms

We plan to organize similar pages for:

* Non-Linear Optimizers
* Non-Linear Sparse Matrix Solvers
* Eigen Analysis
* Matrix / Vector operations

--

If you are interested in getting involved,
either by raising up problems related to

    Thanks