[Insight-developers] GetJacobian Refactoring: Prefer compile time errors to runtime errors.

Johnson, Hans J hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Thu Aug 18 09:23:30 EDT 2011

All,

Based on a  conversation with Brian Avants (See issue https://issues.itk.org/jira/browse/ITK-2621), and my work in updating Slicer4 to ITKv4, I have made a series of 3 patches that I would like you to review.

Replace GetJacobian with GetJacobianWithRespectToParameters:
http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2505

Replace GetJacobian* to ComputeJacobian*
http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2507

Remove unnecessary m_Jacobian from itk::Transform<>
http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2508

The previous implementation retained the old API, but only partially preserved backwards compatibility.  This made it very difficult to identify where failures would occur, and they only occurred in some run-time situations.

This patch causes compile-time failures, and describes in the MigrationGuide how to transition externally defined custom transforms derived from Transform base in a way that is both backwards compatible with ITKv3 and forwards compatible with ITKv4.

I would appreciate your criticisms of this patch set.

Thanks,
Hans