[Insight-developers] Intermittent compile errors for header tests

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Aug 15 10:58:05 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> I have had intermittent problems on my local system that I also attribute to
> virus programs. I guess we have to live with it.
>
> Bill
>
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Matthew McCormick (thewtex)
> <matt at mmmccormick.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I am not sure of the problem, but my only suspicion  is that a virus
>> checker or other program is contending for the files (Windows cannot
>> handle two programs opening the same file.)  But I am not sure.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Here is another example:
>> > http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=1426273

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

This particular error likely has nothing to do with external things
like virus checkers and everything to do with incorrect depedency
specifications.

This is output from a parallel project build in Visual Studio:

180>------ Build started: Project: ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest1,
Configuration: Release Win32 ------
180>Generating test/ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest1.cxx,
test/ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest2.cxx
179>Compiling...
179>ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest2.cxx
180>Traceback (most recent call last):
180>  File "C:\Dashboards\Client\base\ITK-Gerrit\Utilities\Maintenance\BuildHeaderTest.py",
line 133, in <module>
180>    ret = main()
180>  File "C:\Dashboards\Client\base\ITK-Gerrit\Utilities\Maintenance\BuildHeaderTest.py",
line 103, in main
180>    test_src = open(test_source_file, 'w')

180>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/.../ITK-Gerrit-bin/Modules/Numerics/NeuralNetworks\\test\\ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest2.cxx'

As you can see, project "180" claims to be "Generating ...
test/ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest2.cxx" and then project "179" (which
started before 180) is compiling that very same file:
ITKNeuralNetworksHeaderTest2.cxx... which means that it or a
predecessor *also* generated that source file. (else there wouldn't be
something to compile...)

Now, either the file is named the same but in different directories
(and I'm mis-diagnosing this) or the file is the very same file, and
there's a mistake in the custom command dependencies that lead up to
its creation.

This is most likely our own issue to deal with and not something we
can pawn off on a mysterious surmised external factor...

David C.