[Insight-developers] CLang static analyzer?!

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Aug 11 15:50:29 EDT 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:23:48 +0000, Williams, Norman K said:

>http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/scan-build.html
>
>Early days on this, but it does some good stuff, like generate HTML
>listing static analysis problems, with annotated source.
>
>I'm doing a pass through ITK with it, but is this something we should add
>to our nightly song & dance?

I have used it a lot, and it's an absolutely wonderful tool.  I can't recommend it enough.

It's been C and Obj-C only until just a couple of months ago when basic C++ support was added.  clang itself has only been able to build ITK for a few months.  Hopefully it won't choke on ITK code.  It does give false positives sometimes.

I requested that the cdash folks add support for it, the same way they give special support to valgrind:
<http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10208>

I think more people would have to put pressure for this to ever happen. :)

Will you put the HTML results somewhere for us to look at?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com