[Insight-developers] LabelMaps and the Perimeter Estimation

Jim Miller millerjv at ge.com
Fri Apr 29 10:00:50 EDT 2011

I had run into issues with the Perimeter measurement last fall. I had communicated with Gaetan about it.  In my case, I wasn't really interested in the perimeter but rather the Roundness of an object which was being distorted by the Perimeter issue. To get around this, I wrote meself a little filter that overwrite the Roundness value stored with another measure of roundness. Here, I just made something up that sounded good to me. I had meaning to send the measure to Gaetan for consideration.  What I did was

    labelObject->SetRoundness( labelObject->GetEquivalentRadius() / (labelObject->GetFeretDiameter() / 2.0) );

The equivalent radius is a radius of a circle with the same area as the object. The feret diameter is the diameter of circumscribing circle. So this measure has a maximum of 1.0 when the object is a perfect circle.

Jim