[Insight-developers] LabelMaps and the Perimeter Estimation

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Apr 28 04:16:25 EDT 2011

Le 27 avr. 11 à 17:52, Bradley Lowekamp a écrit :

> Gaetan,
>
> Have you seen the following bug:
> http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=11934
>
> I encountered this bug myself. It is quite serious because the
> roundness attribute can become quite erroneous, as I have seen it
> >2.0 when theoretically it should always be less then 1.0. The
> miscalculation is causing me to have some trust issues with using
> this code and relaying on the computed attributes.
>
> In this current state I would not recommend moving the LabelMaps out
> of ITK review.
>
> Your IJ paper says "More details about perimeter estimation will be
> published in another article". I only bring up the issue because
> LabelMaps are quite useful, and would like they to quickly be placed
> in the reliable category.

Brad,

I've seen that problem, but didn't have any chance to fix it.
I'm not completely sure, but this may be more a problem with the
perimeter estimation method than an implementation problem.

I agree that there is some work to do here, but conclude that the
whole label map package is not reliable simply by looking at the lack
of precision in perimeter (and thus roundness) estimation doesn't seem
very fair. The perimeter estimation is a very small part of it, and
other parts are producing a higher precision than what is found
currently in ITK.

Of course some help would be welcome to track that problem, for
example by creating tests with expected values.

Regards,

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann