[Insight-developers] returning std::vector from an ITK class method seen as harmful?

Johnson, Hans J hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Apr 22 07:51:45 EDT 2011

Kent,

I support Bill's suggestions below:
1) The same change should be applied uniformly across all like classes
(ConfidenceConnectedImageFilter, IsolatedConnectedImageFilter, and
ConnectedThresholdImageFilter)
2) Add a public typedef for SeedsContainerType for each of the classes
3) Add Get macros.

Hans

On 4/21/11 9:57 PM, "Bill Lorensen" <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:

>You could return a const reference to the vector. It is probably a
>good idea to declare that is of type
>std::vector<indexType>. That is the terminology used in the
>ConfidenceConnectedImageFilter, the IsolatedConnectedImageFilter, and
>the ConnectedThresholdImageFilter.
>
>However, none of these have a GetSeeds method. Maybe they all should
>have one (or two).
>
>On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM, robert tamburo
><robert.tamburo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. Is there a good reason why the seed pixels should be exposed?
>> The reason I requested the feature is there is a function to
>>automatically
>> find seed pixels and it seems logical to have access to the computed
>>pixel
>> indices.  A more general reason would be that the pixel indices are
>>stored
>> as a member variable and, from what I can remember, all member
>>variables are
>> supposed to have Set/Get functions.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Williams, Norman K
>> <norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> From time to time Hans Johnson looks through the ITK Bug Tracker and
>>> assigns me some bugs that look like low-hanging fruit.
>>>

>>> Looking at this one: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12017
>>>
>>> The reporter wants FloodFilledImageFunctionConditionalConstIterator to
>>> return its Seed Pixels, which are stored as an std::vector<IndexType>.
>>>
>>> 2 questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Is there a good reason why the seed pixels should be exposed?
>>> 2. If they should be exposed, should the access method return a