[Insight-developers] Where would I put an HDF helper class?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 21 11:16:40 EDT 2011

In working on Transform and ImageIO with HDF, I've identified a collection
of common methods that could be re-used in any HDF-based I/O class.  I'd
like to add a Façade/helper class that encapsulates these common methods,
to avoid duplicating code. I'm not sure, though where this class should
live.

The options, as far as I can tell are

1. Add the class to an existing modules.
  a. Modules/Core/Common?
  b. Modules/Core/Transform?
2. Define a new module

Solution 1a would introduce a dependency of ITK-Common on ITK-HDF5, which
seems a bad idea.
Solution 1b would make ITK-IO-HDF5 depend on ITK-Transform. This isn't
terrible, but it isn't entirely logical.

Solution 2 would be kind of OK, but I hesitate to add a module just to add
one class.

So I need advice on where I'm going to put this class.