[Insight-developers] Proposal to change file naming conventions

Johnson, Hans J hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 20 17:22:02 EDT 2011

I already have a script that takes care of that.

Hans
--
Hans J. Johnson, Ph.D.
hans-johnson at uiowa.edu<mailto:hans-johnson at uiowa.edu>

From: Bradley Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov<mailto:blowekamp at mail.nih.gov>>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:15:48 -0400
To: Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com<mailto:brad.king at kitware.com>>
Cc: Hans Johnson <hans-johnson at uiowa.edu<mailto:hans-johnson at uiowa.edu>>, Vercauteren Vercauteren <tom.vercauteren at m4x.org<mailto:tom.vercauteren at m4x.org>>, ITK <insight-developers at itk.org<mailto:insight-developers at itk.org>>
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] Proposal to change file naming conventions

On Apr 20, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Brad King wrote:

On 04/20/2011 04:35 PM, Johnson, Hans J wrote:
I would contend that ".txx" is so not anything but ITK.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5656990_file-extension-txx_.html

;)

On 04/20/2011 04:53 PM, Johnson, Hans J wrote:
2) move to .hpp (because some do not like having the -impl.h)

2b) move to .hxx, one letter change and consistent with use of .cxx
   for non-template implementation files.  It is known to emacs,
   vim, Xcode, VS, etc.

If we are going to do this then the massive rename commit should do
the renames and modify the files mentioning .txx in their content
at the same time.  In order to keep history connected easily we need
to avoid renaming and modifying a file at the same time.  Therefore
no .txx file should mention itself or other .txx files at the time
of the rename.  This command shows the lines that we will need to
fix ahead of time to avoid mentioning .txx if possible:

$ git grep '\.txx' -- '*.txx' |grep -v ThirdParty

As of commit fc6041b6 there are only 19 of them.

Additionally add txx file have the preprocessor guard:

__itkFileName_txx

So every txx file will need to be modified as well.

-Brad K