[Insight-developers] Progress with HDF5 I/O

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 20 16:04:46 EDT 2011

It's not the usual thing to announce Gerrit topics on the mailing list,
but in this case...

Brad King has merged his HDF5 subset into ITK/Modules/ThirdParty, so you
can now test my HDF5 I/O patches without having to figure out how to build
the HDF library yourselves.

The first patch I've fixed to work with this change is the HDF5 ImageIO.
It saves and restores all the necessary Image data, and exports scalars
and strings from the MetaDataDictionary.

This is a work in progress, for a number of reasons, chief being that I'd
like to move a lot of the code in both the HDF5TransformIO and HDF5ImageIO
into a common HDF5IO Helper class.  This would provide an easy way to read
and write HDF5 files without having to understand everything about HDF5,
which definitely has its quirks and complications. It would be an easy way
to create portable, structured binary files, with the advantage that they
could be read in a bunch of different languages and software packages.

http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,1401
Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu