[Insight-developers] CLEAN CODE : 0x06

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 2 08:29:52 EDT 2011

"Perhaps you thought that "getting it working" was the first order of
business for a professional developer. I hope by now , however, that
this book has disabused you of that idea. The functionality that you
create today has good chance of changing in the next release, but the
*readability* of your code will have a profound effect on all the changes
that will ever be made. The coding style and readability set precedents
that continue to affect maintainability and extensibility long after the
original code has been changed beyond recognition. your style and
discipline survives, even though your code does not."

"When people look under the hood, we want them to be impressed with
 the neatness, consistency and attention to detail that they perceive. We
want them to be struck by the orderliness. We want their eyebrows to
rise as they scroll through the modules. We want them to perceive that
professionals have been at work. If instead they see a scrambled mass of
code that looks like it was written by a bevy of *drunken sailors*, then
they are likely to conclude that the same inattention to detail pervades
every other aspect of the project."

"You should take care that your code is nicely formatted. Your should
choose a set of simple rules that govern the format of your code, and
then you should *consistently* apply those rules. If you are working
on a team, then the team should agree to a *single* set of formatting
rules and all member should comply. It helps to have an automated tool
that can apply those formatting rules for you".

"Clean Code"
'A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship'
 Robert C Martin.