[Insight-developers] Gerrit Reviewed, now what?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Sep 27 12:07:09 EDT 2010

On 09/27/2010 11:45 AM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> OK, I though I needed to follow these steps:
> http://vtk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git#Topic_Stage
>
> But, Hans and Brad, are you saying this will be done automatically
> once the review gets a Verified and a +2?

There seems to be a major point of confusion here.  There is *not*
a *robot* that will merge changes automatically.  The main itk.org
repository is completely *unaware* of Gerrit and code review.

The high-level list of steps is here:

  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git#Workflow

We are using Gerrit as a supplementary *tool* to help decide what to
put in the itk.org repository.  Then we are using the Topic Stage
as a *tool* to help merge changes into the itk.org repository.
Transition between each step is *manual*.  See here:

  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git#Code_Review
  "Once a change is reviewed and approved in Gerrit, an ITK
   developer with access to the upstream repository must integrate
   the change using the ITK Topic Stage, covered in the following."

> I see a
> 27 hours ago
> 	Bill Lorensen	COMP: Removed warnings caused by unused static procs

That is this one:

  http://itk.org/gitweb?p=ITK.git;a=commitdiff;h=d4730544

It was the commit you created locally before pushing to the stage.

> and
> 12 hours ago
> 	Bill Lorensen	Merge topic 'OpenJpegWarnings'

That is this one:

  http://itk.org/gitweb?p=ITK.git;a=commitdiff;h=a4b9a9c4

It was the commit created by the ITK Topic Stage (note the commit
records the topic stage as the "committer") when you invoked

 $ ssh git at itk.org stage ITK merge OpenJpegWarnings

Essentially *you* created this commit by using the topic stage
command-line interface.

The "Kitware Robot" email notification Hans mentioned occurs
when our robot *mirrors* the history that you published on itk.org
to Gerrit's ITK repository.  The mirror is one-way.  This robot
does not merge anything.  It just copies what was done at itk.org
over to Gerrit.  The robot does not actually run on itk.org, so
neither repository is directly aware of the other.

-Brad