[Insight-developers] Today's Tcon Agenda: Posted

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Mon May 31 14:03:16 EDT 2010

Hi Luis,

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:39, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for the reminder.

Well, reminding is just the easy part :)

> Let me clarify. The current LBFGSB code in ITK is not
> under GPL.  Instead, it is copyrighted by ACM and under
> a license that doesn't allow commercial applications.

Is this code different from the GPL one found on the author website?
  http://www.eecs.northwestern.edu/~nocedal/lbfgs.html
  http://www.eecs.northwestern.edu/~nocedal/lbfgsb.html

> There was some effort among Slicer developers to get a
> BSD version of the code from the LBFGSB developers.
>
> My recollection is that it was successful, (but I have to
> double check). In that case it will be easy to fix this for
> ITK 3.20 (that, by the way, it is scheduled for July 15th).

I don't know what as been done for Slicer but as I mentioned earlier
  http://www.itk.org/mailman/private/insight-developers/2010-March/014245.html
we could switch to the ITK implementation from elastix which as far as
I understand should be just a matter of copy and paste
  http://elastix.isi.uu.nl/doxygen/a00204.html
or rely on a generic LBFGS solver written in C under a MIT license
  http://www.chokkan.org/software/liblbfgs/

Best,
Tom