[Insight-developers] VXL : Toms library : ACM Copyright : non-commercial license

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sat Jan 30 16:36:30 EST 2010

Hello Luis,

First of all, thanks to you and all the ITK folks for taking the
licensing issue seriously.  From a selfish point of view: it makes my
life easier as the Debian packager.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 02:54:41PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Yet another example of what is wrong
> with:   www.netlib.org
>
> A lot of code posted,
> with not information about copyright or licensing.
>
>             let's burn it !!!
>             let's burn it !!!
>             let's burn it !!!

I truly admire your passion for open source code!
(and open source information generally)

However, I'm curious about this remark:

> The fact that we are still carrying around
> FORTRAN code from the 80's is an obvious
> symptom of technological decadence.

Without checking, I would speculate that it may be that the problem
was well enough understood in the 80's that it isn't worth rewriting
the code each decade.

What is the "obvious technological decadence" you perceive?

Best regards,
-Steve